The following is a post from our sponsor, Quaker.
It’s 6:30 a.m. (Or earlier.)
The alarm goes off. (Or your child climbs into your bed and pries your eyelids open.)
No matter what kind of wake-up call you get, this is the moment when moms have to really mobilize to get everyone’s day off to the best start possible. What’s a bleary-eyed mom to do?
The answer (as you probably guessed) is to plan, prepare, and get a procedure in place to make the morning routine as easy as possible for everyone involved. Try these mom-approved tips to make that happen!
1. Start the night before. Yes, you’ve probably heard this one before. But that’s because it’s so helpful! Whatever you can possibly do ahead of time, DO AHEAD OF TIME. Pick out clothes, pack book bags, prep lunches, and gather essentials for the a.m. rush.
2. Post the routine on the wall. A picture chart showing each step in the process is especially helpful for younger kids. Cover every step -- from going to the bathroom and brushing teeth to getting dressed and eating breakfast to heading out the door and on the school bus. For little ones who need more motivation, reward each successful step with a sticker.
3. Avoid a.m. squabbles with an easy custom breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as our own mothers have reminded us, but that doesn’t mean you need to be a short-order cook. Quaker Perfect Portions instant oatmeal makes it simple for moms to serve up a hearty, nutritious breakfast by allowing you to make as much or as little as you want to easily satisfy every appetite in the house -- including yours. And since it’s unsweetened, everyone can sweeten to their liking.
4. Take a look at the calendar. Give the family a quick recap of who is going where, and at what time, throughout the day. Are there appointments or after-school activities? Will you be shuttling kids to and fro later on? Make sure everyone knows what’s on the agenda.
5. Do a final double-check. A checklist on the wall can help with this part, too -- you just need a quick recap before everyone heads out (yourself included!) to make sure all assignments, bags, gear, and keys have been grabbed. And then you’re all off for a successful day!
What’s your best tip for getting your family up and out the door on time in the morning?
Image via dulhunk/Flickr