You know the pair, the really cute, too-tight jeans that used to fit so well. Cafe MicheleZ recently wrote about Skinny Jeans in Beauty & Style. So that got me wondering exactly how I'm going to get back into mine. Here's a great 4-Week Skinny Jean Workout I found from Fitness Magazine that I can start incorporating into my regular exercise routine.
Do the following strength and stair workouts three times a week on nonconsecutive days. Add one hilly hike or longer run on weekends to blast even more calories and you'll be slipping into those skinny jeans in one month!
1. Running Man
Fitness Focus: Glutes, Calves, Thighs, Hips, Core
- Stand facing stairs with elbows bent at sides.
- Take a giant step up to second step with right foot, then hop up, bringing left knee toward chest.
- Land on stair with right foot.
- Immediately step down to the floor with left foot while bending right leg behind you.
- Hold for 5 counts, keeping your abs tight to help you balance.
- Do 16 to 20 explosive hops on right foot, using your arms to gain momentum; switch sides and repeat.
2. Standing Flye
Fitness Focus: Thighs, Calves, Hips, Chest, Shoulders, Core
- Stand sideways to stairs, placing right foot on the first or second step.
- Keep feet wide apart and turn toes out 45 degrees.
- Hold a 3- to 5-pound dumbbell in each hand, palms forward, arms extended at chest height and elbows slightly bent (not shown).
- Bring weights together in front of chest while lowering hips into a plie.
- Hold for 2 seconds.
- Return to starting position and repeat for 16 to 20 reps; switch sides.
Beginner Option: Lower halfway down into a semi plie; keep hands on your hips (no weights).
3. Skater's Lunge
- Remain in low position and bring left foot up to meet right on step.
- Squat down, lowering hips another 2 inches. Hold for 2 counts; repeat.
- Do 16 to 20 reps, alternating sides.
4. Leg-Step Extension
Fitness Focus: Glutes, Hips, Hamstrings, Core, Chest, Arms
- Get on all fours with hands stacked under shoulders and toes pressed into step.
- Tuck right knee in toward chest.
- Extend right leg behind you and squeeze glutes; hold for 2 counts (not shown).
- Do 10 reps; switch sides.
Beginner Option: Do this exercise on the floor instead of the stairs, and perform only 6 reps per leg.
5. Single-Leg Rotation
Fitness Focus: Legs, Thighs, Glutes, Hips, Obliques
- Stand facing away from the stairs with left toes on the first step, torso straight, holding a 3- to 5-pound dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee aligned with ankle.
- Turn torso to the right and bring weights over outside of right thigh.
- Hold for 2 counts; return to start.
- Do 16 to 20 reps; switch sides.
Beginner Option: Do the rotations without weights; bend knee only 45 degrees.
Fitness Focus: Glutes, Legs, Hips, Core
- Stand facing staircase with right foot planted on the first or second step, holding 3- to 5-pound weights at hips.
- Leaning forward slightly, lunge back with left leg, bending right knee 90 degrees and keeping knee aligned over ankle.
Wow. I get tired just reading this workout. But it's worth it. Do you have a pair of skinny jeans hanging around in your closet?