Oh the winter cold. I'm battling it right now. I feel like the plague has taken over my body and all I want to do is listen to John Mayer Pandora and have a constant IV drip of green tea into my veins. Naturally, like any other sniffler, I want to get over this five minutes ago. All I want to know is if there is a way for me to feel better ASAP.
Well lucky for me and all you other seasonal sufferers, there is. In fact, there are a few things you can do to feel better sooner. Check out 10 simple ways to fight a cold fast, here:
1. Steam things up: Steam helps loosen mucus. Get into a nice hot shower and allow the steam to really get inside your system and soak it in. When you get out, top it off by putting a warm compress (a washcloth will be fine) over your eyes.
2. Swear off dairy: Milk and other dairy products make phlegm in the throat thicker and possibly more irritating.
3. Tea time: Tea has very strong antibacterial and antiviral properties. Like steam from the shower, the warm liquids soothe the throat and loosen excess mucus production.
4. Up your vitamin C: One study reported that taking .2 grams or more daily of vitamin C shortened the number of days a cold lasts by 8 percent.
5. Spice up your life: Spicy foods increase blood flow in the body and, just like a vapor rub, can clear up your sinuses.
6. Skip the sweets: Sugar can decrease the activity of the immune system for up to five hours or so. Say goodbye to chocolate and hello to natural sweeteners like Stevia.
7. Squeeze in some exercise: I know I know, hitting the gym is the last thing you want to do. You want to lay in your bed for eight hours straight and watch a Friends marathon. But exercise betters your immune function and removes toxins from the body.
8. Use moisturizing tissues: You already feel like junk, there's no reason to look like it too. Buy the tissues with moisturizing lotion so that you don't take out your anger on your nostrils.
9. Put an extra pillow under your head: Laying upright will help drain nasal passages correctly.
10. Get some sleep! Sleep is the best medicine there is. Take some time for yourself, kick back, and shut out the world for a bit. Believe me, they'll be happy when you're back and not spreading your sickness.
Do you have any tricks for fighting the cold?
Image via Brian Reid/Flickr