Follow The Stir

Healthy Living

Say What!?

Doctor of Woman Whose Stomach Caught Fire During C-Section Found Not Liable

by Deborah Cruz on November 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

c-sectionA pregnant woman's abdomen caught fire during what was supposed to be a routine C-section in one of the craziest hospital horror stories I've ever heard. And recently a New York jury ruled that obstetrician Dr. Stephen Brown is not liable for the surgery accident involving former patient Kira Reed.

The fire was the result of a surgical tool igniting an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to the patient's skin. The terrifying incident left Reed with third-degree burns.

Kind of makes you trust hospitals even less, doesn't it?

I’m glad I didn’t hear about this before giving birth either time, or I’m pretty sure I'd have been so scared, they would have had to knock me out 1970s-style.

You just never know what can happen when you go to the hospital. I’ve heard stories about people walking in for minor surgery and walking out with a staph infection that kills them. At least we're prepared for that now, so we can take precautions.

But what do you do when something unexpected happens, when there was no negligence and it was just really bad luck? This is one of those cases in which, it seems, there is no one to blame.

The state Supreme Court ruled that the 2010 C-section gone awry wasn't Brown's fault, and they decided in his favor. The jury found that Brown was not responsible for prepping Reed for the surgery, according to the Post-Standard.

In other words, it was just an unfortunate accident. At least now, thanks to this case, we all know that this particular antiseptic is highly flammable and should not be used with any surgical tool that ignites a spark.

Sadly, though, the discovery came at a very high and painful price for Kira Reed.

Do cases like this make you trust hospitals less? Do you have any hospital horror stories to share?


Image via Rowan Simpson/Flickr

Filed Under: doctors, medical miracles

Comments

21
  • Mary...
    -- Facebook comment from

    Mary Cimino

    November 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

    And I thought I had freak accidents.


  • lesko...
    --

    lesko0324

    November 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM

    Oh damn...


  • nhamp...
    --

    nhampton401

    November 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM

    I was burned by a bovi pen during my c section. It left a hole in my upper abdomen the size of a nickle. It was a careless doctor and I think this is the same case. I hope this poor girl recovered ok.


  • tigge...
    --

    tigger238

    November 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

    Ouch.


  • MamaH...
    --

    MamaHasWings

    November 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

    I do have a "hospital horror story" to share. Because of hospital neglect, I delivered my son by myself, completely unassisted, in a dark triage room. There were no less than 6 nurses 10 or so feet away hearing me scream and no one came until after he was born. That was three years ago and I still cannot find a lawyer who will take the case because since my son does not have a mental disability and/or I was not physically harmed during the birth, it'll never reach to court, regardless of the fact that the HEALTH DEPARTMENT found the hospital in violation of not providing care and altering medical records. There is very little justice for pregnant women and infants and it doesn't surprise me that a jury did not find the doctor liable.


  • the4m...
    --

    the4mutts

    November 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    I don't trust hospitals. I HAVE been mistreated in one, and couldn't do a damn thing about it. No lawyer would take the case because it didn't result in any financial cost for me, or any permanent damage.
    That aside, this story isn't one to effect me, nor should it be used in what appears to be an attempt at fear mongering. It was an ACCIDENT. Of course the woman deserves compensation & treatment, but it wasn't like she was abused. It shouldn't make us "think twice" about anything.
  • DebaLa
    --

    DebaLa

    November 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

    There is no such thing as ROUTINE anything in a hospital for any surgical procedure.


  • Abbie...
    -- Facebook comment from

    Abbie Blackshire

    November 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

    There are thousands of surgical fires a year. Look it up. This is a fairly regular event during surgical procedures. One more reason not to have c-sections.

     


  • bubba258
    --

    bubba258

    November 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    So mamahaswings wants to sue for having a normal natural problem free birth that many women wish they could have, in particular the woman on fire!!! How rude and selfish.
  • Joy...
    -- Facebook comment from

    Joy Smith Bishton

    November 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

    Can you say blanket consent form?!?   And the 1950s were the time of knock 'em out drag 'em out births. Women were much better educated by the 1970s.

     


1-10 of 21 comments

To leave a comment, log in as a CafeMom member:

Log In

OR, use our non-member comment form: