Energy Drink Deaths Caused by Caffeine Poisoning: Could You Be at Risk? (VIDEO)

OMG 11

energy drinksWhat happened to 14-year-old Anais Fournier is both incredibly heartbreaking and incredibly scary: After drinking two 24-ounce Monster Energy Drinks at the mall one day with her friends, the teen went into cardiac arrest due to caffeine toxicity and died. Even scarier? Along with Fournier's tragic passing, the FDA is investigating four other deaths they believe could be related to Monster Energy Drinks. WHAT?! I mean, we all know that too much caffeine isn't good for anyone, kids in particular, but who knew it could be fatal? And how much caffeine is in this stuff, anyway?

Well, a lot. Especially for a 14-year-old: By drinking two 24-ounce cans, Fournier consumed roughly 480 milligrams of caffeine (the equivalent of drinking 14 cans of Coke). Adults are advised to keep their daily caffeine intake under 500 mg. Still, while caffeine toxicity, or poisoning, is surprisingly common, it's rarely fatal. So why are people dying?

There is no official answer as of yet, but in Fournier's case, it seems a common pre-existing heart condition called mitral valve prolapse could have put her at risk. Mitral valve prolapse causes one of the heart's valves to malfunction and affects between 1 and 20 Americans, but it doesn't usually cause any actual health problems.

Or at least mitral valve prolapse didn't usually cause actual health problems -- you know, back before energy drinks containing mass quantities of caffeine hit the shelves. More research needs to be done before a link is established, but if I had this particular physical issue (most people know whether or not they have mitral valve prolapse, as the condition is regularly detected at routine physicals), I would most definitely lay off the energy drinks for awhile.

Do you worry about the amount of caffeine in energy drinks?

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


Image via Mitchell Laurren-Ring/Flickr

11 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Venae Venae

No, because I don't drink it and I don't let my kids drink it either.  Nice of her parents to sue the company though.  Pre-existing condition trumps too much caffeine - they won't get a penny.

Maias... MaiasMommy619

The girl had a pre-existing condition...the whole story is stupid. I am sorry she had to die..but to her and her parents this was common knowledge. She knew not to drink that much caffeine.

tauru... taurusmom88

This is sad, but don't energy drinks have warning lables on them?

dixie... dixiechick2

No , energy drinks are gross!

Marvin Wayne Cordell

I dont know whom i need to talk to however on 5 -20 2010 1 was put in the hospital for drinking a low carb monster that the hospital tested and it came back positive for ethyl alcohal i was in the hospital on and off for a few days and have never been so sick i still have the 3 other cans unopened and the remander of the open can thay said sorry no one else ever got sick from it its the cleaning solution i couldnt breath and passed out i was 42 years old marvin3142gmail .com thank you

Nycti... Nyctimene

I love Monster and yes, taurusmom. Reading from the label on my can of Monster in front of me...


Recommended dose (adults): Drink 1 can per day as needed.


Cautions: Contains caffeine. Not recommended for children, women who are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, or for caffeine sensitive persons. This product is not intended to replace food or fluid intake. Do not use with alcohol. Do not consume more than 1 can (473 mL) per day.

They say it twice and it's common sense. Energy drinks aren't the problem. Millions of people enjoy them worldwide without being stupid. If idiots want to drink 2, 3, 5 cans a day then it's only their own fault and no one can be surprised when they end up in hospital or dead. That's like downing an entire bottle of caffeine pills or drinking 20 cups of coffee and being surprised at the same effect and blaming coffee.

Jespren Jespren

It's already got an idiot lable on it, what more do the idiots of the world want? (I don't drink caffeine period but my husband does)

Mark Tennis


I'm a director for a tv station and I use the Dr max Powers Burn on occasion when I need a boost. Great way to wake you and keep you more alert. I wake up at 3 AM every weekday and sometimes it catches up to me. If I take it before the show it keeps me alert throughout the two hours that I direct. 


 


Don't drink soda and ingest all those extra calories, dyes and corn syrup. Drink some water and take the Max Powers Burn. I've been using them for years when I need to and they still work for me everytime. So glad I found this product.


Azyra Azyra

The article didn't state whether the girl knew she had mitral valve prolapse. I happen to suffer from the same conditon and I know you should not  have a lot of caffeine, but on occasion I have had a lot. Not monster or any other brand of energy drink, I know better than to drink that, but a diet mountain dew or two a day, yeah sure.  Also as some have pointed out, the can says "Drink 1 can per day as needed". It seems our children, as she was, has a problem with overindulgence. Pay attention to what you put in your body. It is not that hard. 

nonmember avatar APRIL

MY NAME is April and I am 26 years old and have ben drinking red bull daly for a bout a year and I drink 3 to 4 16oz cans a day and I have got chest pans and stoped drinking the red bull and it would go a way but not if I kept drinking it .the chest pan stad and some times would wersen if I did not stop drinking it

1-10 of 11 comments 12 Last
F