Paul Ryan's Imaginary Marathon Time Is by Far His Worst Lie Yet

Rant 20

Paul RyanPaul Ryan is a liar. We already knew that from all the fact checkers who pored over his convention speech, but it got much, much worse. Because that same week the candidate for Vice President was telling major political lies, he was also telling ones about his physical prowess. Apparently there was some misunderstanding about him climbing 40 mountains. But there was no misunderstanding at all about his marathon lies. He said he ran a sub three marathon -- a feat for only a fleet-footed few. He lied.

As any marathon runner knows, it's no small thing to run 26.2 miles. This is true whether you run it in five hours or three. But let's face it, there is a difference between jogging/walking a marathon and racing it. His real time -- 4:01 -- is fine, but not at all impressive, especially for a man.

He claims he "forgot" his time (it was 22 years ago), but I say anyone who runs a marathon NEVER forgets their time.

I have run two marathons and seven half marathons. My PR (personal record) in a marathon is 3:48. My PR in a half is 1:45. I could tell you the seconds. A runner doesn't forget.

Lying about one's times not only devalues oneself, it also devalues the entire sport. If it were so easy so SAY you ran a 2:50, then why wouldn't everyone? In fact, only 2 percent of runners run a sub three. It takes most people years of training to even run sub four. So to lie about that? Is a big deal.

When I am in full marathon training mode, I devote every day to working out. Sunday I am up at 5 a.m. filling my water pack with Gu, water, and Gatorade. I run two to three hours. I am exhausted, sweaty, and chafed before 9 a.m. and then I get to start my day. Marathon training is brutal, exhausting, and limiting. When I am training, I can't go out on Saturday night or stay up on Sunday. My body hurts all the time and I have to take ice baths.

The reason we runners do it is because it feels so good. We know our times. They are burned under our eyelids and we see them when we go to sleep at night and just before we wake up. We always want to top them. It's a hard goal we have to run track workouts to accomplish. We run until we puke.

Paul Ryan just lies.

If you don't think it's a big deal, then you have never really run a marathon. No one who would lie about his marathon time (or forget it) is worth electing in my book.

Are you bothered by Ryan's lies?

 

Image via Tobyotter/Flickr

exercise

20 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

yayhe... yayheadstart

haha yes I am but I am so glad we are finding out now. And *this* lie really bothers me the most cause Why?? Why? Idiot...

JAFE JAFE

Oh my goodness. He should get a spanking and sent to his room!


I guess we heard NO lies last night? Or the night before? Or the night before that? They ALL lie.

fleur... fleurdelys3110

Oh Sasha. I expected something this petty from Maressa, but not from you. This is a stupid and irrelevant article.

Pinkmani Pinkmani


AY DIOS MIO! Why don't we just nail him to the cross and slay him? 


Every article is I read about Obama/Biden or Romney/Ryan puts these men down. If you aren't voting for them, you don't have to call them every name in the book. 


I'm not voting for Mr. Romney, but deciding not to vote for him just because Paul Ryan forgot his marathon time is just childish. Do your homework, Sasha, and get the facts!


If Mr. Ryan forgot his time from a marathon that he ran 22 years ago, then dammit, THE MAN FORGOT! 


nonmember avatar carlo

I agree wholeheartedly with the author. No marathoner forgets his time. The man lies!!!!

AniAngel AniAngel

Wait you mean politicians don't tell the truth? 99% of what comes out of their mouths is designed to get maximum votes? The other 1% is the gaffe where they actually admit the truth? Shocking...

cecil... cecilmansmom

Obama visited all 57 states he said so himself.

Allis... AllisonWD

I'm no Ryan/Romney fan, but even I thought this was pretty ridiculous.

Allis... AllisonWD

this article*, not the marathon time.

pezch... pezcharlotte

I am not a runner but my friends that are runners all say that your marathon time is something you know as well as you know your children's names.  To me it isn't a huge deal but to my friends that have run marathons even those that are republicans this is a big deal because they truly believe there is no way that he would not remember this and you do not lie about your running time. 

1-10 of 20 comments 12 Last