I don't care what any man anybody says, the fact of the matter is that it's super-stressful being a woman. Just the price we pay for "having it all," right ladies? (Insert highly sarcastic wink here.) So guess what else is epically unfair? According to a recent study, the massive amount of gender-specific stress that's crushing your soul on a daily basis is also, perhaps, making your brain age faster than the average man's brain.
Woo-hoo! At last, we girls are beating the boys! In the race to ... dementia. Boo-hoo.
The thing is, I would love to scoff at these latest findings in disbelief and give you a well-crafted argument as to why this is just another example of Da Man tryin' to keep us gals down. But I can't do that, because I'm afraid the researchers are right this time.
Here are 5 things I did this week that make me believe stress really is turning the female brain to jello ... or at least my brain.
1. Threw my keys out in the garbage with a handful of crumpled receipts. (See what I get for trying to be "organized" and clean out my purse?!)
2. Put a can of dog food in the freezer for no apparent reason. Can I interest you in a pupsicle? Thought not.
3. Squeezed bug bite cream on my son's toothbrush instead of toothpaste. (Resulting trauma will prove to be a huge dental health setback, no doubt.)
4. Attempted to pay for groceries with an Old Navy gift card. What do you mean, my card won't ... ohhh. Whoops.
5. Tried in vain to pull on a pair of black pants for several minutes before realizing they belong to my 11-year-old daughter. On the upside, I didn't triple in size overnight after all, hooray!
What have you done recently that makes you think stress might be destroying your brain?
Image via Diamond Farah/Flickr