For the past several years, I have spent the hours of 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. wide awake while the rest of my house (the rest of the world) is fast asleep. It certainly explains why I'm always so damn exhausted and fight the urge to fall asleep every afternoon, but isn't without benefit, too. In fact, on the rare night when I actually sleep through the night, I wake up disappointed about all of the things that remain undone. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're alone for a change!
1. You can empty out your inbox without it immediately filling back up.
2. You can fold and put away every last piece of laundry without a child depositing a filthy article of clothing in the prized empty hamper.
3. You can do all of the dishes and the sink will remain empty for hours.
4. You can eat whatever you want, without begging hands suddenly wanting a taste.
5. You can take a long shower, with all of the hot water you want.
6. You can write a blog post, uninterrupted.
7. You can mop the floors and admire them, as they remain gloriously footprint free, for at least two hours.
8. You can watch anything you want on TV.
9. You can cut your nails or pluck your eyebrows or do a face mask or shave yours legs without an audience.
10. You can pee in peace!
So, how 'bout it? Virtual date tomorrow night at 3 a.m.? I'll be there.
Image via Yourdon/Flickr