Courtesy of DrWeil.com
Dr. Andrew Weil, author of Eight Weeks to Optimum Health, is a popular health guru. He's definitely one of my favorites. Not only is he a Harvard-educated M.D., he's also a proponent of alternative therapies. And he backs his claims with solid scientific studies.
Here are Weil's vitamin picks, according to a recent story on CNN.com.
- A daily multivitamin/multimineral.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, and multiple sclerosis, as well as other conditions. Studies show many of us are vitamin D deficient. Weil says look on the label to make sure you're getting vitamin D3, not vitamin D2.
- Magnesium. Lack of magnesium may lead to irritability, muscle weakness, and irregular heartbeat.
- Juvenon (or "Omega"). A compound believed to enhance cellular health and function. This supplement contains two nutrients, acetyl-L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. The company that makes Juvenon says benefits include "more energy," a "sharper mind", and "more restful sleep."
- Co-Q-10. A supplement that boosts coenzyme Q10, which is produced by the human body and is necessary for the basic functioning of cells. Animal studies have found that coenzyme Q10 helps the immune system work better and makes the body better able to resist certain infections and types of cancer.
I clicked over to the Questions section to check out an anonymous CafeMom's question, What are the best vitamins that won't hurt your tummy and will give lots of energy? I read many interesting answers and specific brand recommendations.
What about you? What vitamins or supplements do you take everyday?