It's hard not to feel a little bit bad for Jennifer Mee. She may be off her rocker, but she had a hard knock life.
The so-called Hiccup Girl is accused of armed robbery and murder in Tampa Bay now, but three years ago she was making the talk show circuit because she could . . . not . . . stop. . . hiccuping.
There's no real evidence that month after month of hicc . . up. . . hicc . . . up drove Mee to do it. But no one should risk it. Or have to live with sleep deprivation or constant pain either. Let's cure those hiccups once and for all!
The following methods may work. Or may just leave your co-workers in hysterical giggles watching you. The folks who try them swear by them. So it's worth a shot, right?
If nothing else, a little more laughter in the world is worth it. And here's promising none of them will send you to jail with Mee:
1. Hold your breath and touch your toes several times.
2. Put peanut butter on your tongue and hold it.
3. Drink something fizzy.
4. Ask someone to tickle you.
5. Ask someone to scare you (although actually ASKING someone may defeat the purpose -- tell them to pass on the request to a stranger for improved efficacy).
6. Hold your breath, counting to 10. Take another deep breath without releasing any air, followed by another and another.
7. Drink a glass of water while plugging both ears (which is no easy task -- you have to have strong thumbs to hold the glass . . . or three hands, in which case hiccups are the least of your problems).
8. Hold your breath until you physically can't anymore.
9. Squeeze the inside of the ear -- also called the tragus -- and count to 30.
10. Take a lemon wedge, sprinkle bitters and sugar on it. Bite into it and drink the lemon juice.
11. Make yourself laugh. But it has to be something hysterical -- the sort of thing where you have a 13-year-old girl's case of uncontrollable giggles. This video may help.
12. Drink from the "wrong" side of the cup while holding your nose. No telling exactly which side is wrong -- so take your pick (and if it doesn't work, you're doing it wrong).
13. Blow on your thumb as if you were blowing up a balloon.
14. Inhale as deeply as you can, then force yourself to burp. Bonus points if it smells (what, you haven't heard the one about tasting it rather than wasting it?).
15. Plug your ears. Inhale deeply. Let it out. Do it again until the hiccups disappear (or you pass out?).
What are your can't fail hiccup cures?
Image via Newser