What do The Biggest Loser trainer Bob Harper, Glee star Lea Michele, and Chelsea Clinton have in common? No, it's not great hair. More like none of them prefer a romantic date night out at a steakhouse .... That's right -- they're all vegans, choosing not to consume any animal products (meat or dairy). And they're not alone -- it seems like eating "kind" like Alicia Silverstone is all the rage right now among the rich and famous.
I'm not a huge meat eater, but there seem to be quite a few drawbacks to going vegan. Then again, there are also a lot of pluses (I mean, look at how awesome Alicia looks in her pro-veg PETA ad!). Here, a handy list weighing the pros and cons of following in Rachel Berry's meat-less footsteps.
1. Fewer UTIs - You won't have to worry about them as much! Recent Canadian research showed that the E. coli bacteria in some chicken may have something to do with some ladies' nasty urinary tract infections. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have to blame my UTI on "honeymoon cystitis" (AKA lots o' sex) than what I had for lunch.
2. Two words: Food Inc. - Have you seen this documentary about the food industry? While the film isn't nearly as graphic as I feared it would be, it was still pretty upsetting .... You learn that chickens are raised to grow so much breast meat that they sometimes fall over when walking even a couple of steps. The filmmakers indirectly make an amazing case for staving off animal products. Or at least, you know, thinking really hard about what your bird had done to it before it landed in a KFC Double Down sandwich.
3. Death - If you ever try low-carbin' it and fill up the rest of your plate with animal products, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but ... you're probably headed for an early grave. On the other hand, if you fill up the rest of your plate with veggies, you'll live long and prosper. That's what researchers at Simmons College found, at least.
1. No more Chipotle steak burrito bowls - Yes, I had one for dinner. I piled on more veggies than Martha Stewart's garden, but I topped it off with some yummy grass-fed beef. Yes, similar to what Katy Perry once sang ... I ate a cow, and I liked it.
2. Kissing quesadillas, cheese pizza, ice cream, and mac 'n' cheese goodbye - What? No! Don't take my dairy away from me! I can't imagine a world without wood brick oven pizza with fresh mozzarella or a summer without a drippy cone from the old-fashioned ice cream parlor in town. And don't even talk to me about "soy cheese" ... eww!
3. Having to make a "special request" on airplanes and at weddings, etc. - Yes, it's important to stand up for what you believe in and eat what's right for your diet and lifestyle. But it must be migraine-inducing to seek out food in places that are just not that accommodating (think certain airports, airlines, rest stops, rural weddings, etc.). What do you do then? Just not eat? Maybe that's it! Oh, now I see how you vegans are all so skinny!
Would you ever consider going vegan?
Image via JelleS/Flickr