Somedays you can't wait to exercise. You rush to the gym with a spring in your step and crave those feel-good workout endorphins. Then there are times when you can't find your exercise groove and you just want to curl up on the couch with a pint of your favorite calorie-laden ice cream and do nothing that involves movement whatsoever.
You know how bribery absolutely works when it comes to getting toddlers to do something, like finish a meal or go potty before they get to leave for the park? Well, that same principle works equally well in getting grown-ups to exercise.
Before you give in to that sofa that you swear is calling your name, try some of these tricky but effective tips to light your exercise fire. You'll be glad you did.
- Dress for exercise success. Instead of PJ's, slip on your workout clothes when you go to bed. When you wake up, you'll already be dressed to go exercise.
- Lie to yourself. I'm all about playing mind games to keep myself on track. This one works like a charm. Tell yourself you will just exercise for 10 minutes -- once you get started, you're more likely to keep going.
- Change things up. There's nothing like a little variety to keep you on your toes and get you motivated to exercise. Join a sports league or take a dance class to get yourself back in the groove.
- Reward yourself. But not with food. Allow yourself to buy a new workout top after you reach a certain goal ... or even that hot new lip gloss shade you've been dying to get. Or maybe those shoes you can't live without. You get the idea.
- Skip a day. Sometimes taking a day off is all you need to re-energize and come back strong to your exercise routine. Listen to your body. It's okay to take a break. Just get back on track as soon as possible.
How do YOU motivate yourself to exercise?
Image via Sahar Aker