When Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack died within months of each other, it was widely suspected that drugs were involved. Then last week a report came out that determined they both died from the same cause -- pneumonia and acute anemia -- which was curious.
Now officials are investigating if mold in their Hollywood Hills home might have played a role in their deaths, according to TMZ.
The site says officials suspected mold after Monjack's death, but Murphy's mother wouldn't let them search the house. She has now granted access, and an investigation is underway.
While it's just a suspicion at this time, it terrifies me to think of some silent killer living in the walls or carpets of one's home. Remember Kirk DeWindt, who Ali Fedotowsky cut after the hometown dates on The Bachelorette, suffered serious illness from mold poisoning as well.
According the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, mold can cause everything from allergies to asthma. The most important thing you can do to avoid mold is to control the moisture in your home.
They provide a list of 10 Things You Should Know About Mold that contains some interesting facts and good information like how to control the humidity in your house (which can contribute to mold growth) and the fact that it can grow on all surfaces, from wood to paper.
While finding out that mold killed Murphy and Monjack wouldn't make their deaths any easier, it would perhaps bring more awareness to what can be a very dangerous situation for many people.
Have you ever had a problem with mold in your home?
Image via 3pin-tya/Flickr