Photo by ajleonSummer is the perfect time for a cookout.
Maybe you're hosting or attending a backyard barbecue or an upscale alfresco party. Or maybe you're just grillin' and chillin' with the fam (my idea of cookout heaven).
Whatever type of cookout you're eating at, according to WebMD, there are plenty of healthy food options to pile on your plate. (Personally, I adhere to the recognition policy -- if I have to ask, "What's in this?" and don't readily recognize ingredients, I skip it.)
Want to avoid the post-cookout why-did-I-eat-that regret?
Think of this as your cookout cheat sheet:
- Burgers: Pick lean ground beef
- Hot dogs: Choose lite and regular-sized (not jumbo)
- Sausages: Eat reduced-fat sausages
- Chicken: Go for grilled, skinless chicken breast or thigh
- Steak: Choose London broil, top sirloin, or filet mignon (and trim fat before grilling)
- Toppings: Pile your plate with fresh veggies, reduced-fat cheese, salsa, and mustard
- Side Dishes: Pick fresh salads and beans
- Desserts: Eat fresh fruit or reduced-fat ice cream
Next time you're at a cookout and faced with a what-to-eat dilemma, at least you'll know what you should be eating. So if you stray, don't say we didn't warn ya!