Flickr photo by basykesThe first time I tasted garlic fries, I was at Seattle's Safeco Field for a Mariners game. The smell hit me before we even entered the stadium, and I sought them out immediately.
They were just as my nose had predicted: Pure food bliss.
I wanted them again and again, but since I'm neither a big baseball fan nor a fan of eating fried food frequently, I came up with a recipe to make a healthier, baked version of garlic fries at home.
Baked Garlic Fries
- 3 pounds potatoes (I use red-skinned or Yukon Gold so I don't have to peel them)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic, minced (this amount is for someone who really likes garlic; you can adjust to suit individual tastes)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1. Slice potatoes into fries and toss with remaining ingredients. Spread them out on metal baking sheet so they're not overlapping.
2. Bake at 400 degrees about an hour.
Note: You'll want to flip these over a couple of times during baking -- just don't do so for about 20 minutes so they have a chance to brown on one side first.
Have you ever tried garlic fries?