Belly fat anyone? One of the best ways to get rid of it is to walk it off.
Forget that it makes our jeans hard to zip and our favorite dresses hang funny. Belly fat is also dangerous. According to Prevention Magazine, excess belly fat can significantly up our risk of heart disease--the number one killer of women--as well as cause other dangerous medical conditions.
There are 3 surprising ways to walk off belly fat from Health.com. They're easy enough that I can actually start incorporating these moves today.
A fancy word, but all it means is that you add jumps and skips to your walking.
- Walk 15 minutes, building to a moderate pace.
- Do 30 High-Knee Steps forward (alternating legs); skip for 30 seconds, then walk at a moderate pace for 1 minute.
- Do 15 Traveling Lateral Squats (turn and move sideways as you squat) in slow motion, followed by 5 Squat Jumps (squat slightly, then swing arms up as you jump). Knee problems? Rise up on your toes instead of jumping.
- Walk at a moderate pace for 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 2.
- Walk for 5 minutes at a moderate pace, then 5 minutes at a slow pace to cool down.
Go somewhere hilly to burn triple the calories.
- Start with 5 minutes of hills in a 20-minute workout. Add 5 more hilly minutes each week to 20-minutes of flat land walking until hills are 1/2 to 1/3 of your exercise.
- If you use a treadmill, gradually increase the incline from 0 percent to 2 percent for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, gradually decrease the incline in the same amount of time, finishing with 5 to 10 minutes of flat walking. Each week, increase the incline by 1 percent.
Alternating moderately paced walking with short, faster-paced intervals lets you amp up your walk without tiring yourself out.
- Warm up at an easy pace, then walk at a moderate pace for 10 minutes; increase speed for 1 minute.
- Do another 3 minutes at a moderate pace; repeat one or two times, then do 10 moderately-paced minutes.
- As you get stronger, add more intervals, aiming to alternate 1-minute speed bursts with 1 minute of moderate walking.
The strategies also strengthened legs more quickly than plain old walking sessions did. And supposedly, after six weeks of walking four to six times a week, we will feel stronger and look slimmer in our middles where it counts.
See other innovative CafeMom tips for burning belly fat in the answers to one mom's question.
Is belly fat an issue for you?