Yesterday, I was sent a group email asking me to list things I’m thankful for that aren’t traditional, like: "my family," "food on the table," etc. Other moms on the email tree were coming back with beautiful sentiments about new friendships, the help of strangers, and averting disasters.
I didn’t respond because everything I thought of seemed trite, superficial, and a tad less profound. However, I did write a list, and frankly, I'll share it with you because these things totally deserve thanks in my book -- just refrain from saying them around the dinner table.
1. I am thankful for the dimmer switch in my bedroom.
2. I am thankful that I keep a pair of tweezers in my car.
3. I am thankful my daughter has not lost faith in the tooth fairy, and my son goes along with it.
4. I am thankful I didn't have an affair with the head of the CIA.
5. I am thankful for Homeland -- somehow that red-headed guy is really sexy?!