The newest trend in cupcakes? Cupcakes for dudes; at least that's according to Epicurious.com, which reports that New York's new Butch Bakery takes a masculine approach to the petite-sized cake with names that reek of testosterone ("Jackhammer," "Beer Run") and macho flavors (rum-soaked vanilla cake, whiskey cake).
From the Butch Bakery Web site: "Our objective is simple. We're men. Men who like cupcakes. Not the frilly pink-frosted sprinkles-and-unicorns kind of cupcakes. We make manly cupcakes. For manly men."
Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen a man complain about frilly pink-frosted sprinkles and unicorns when there's cake involved...
Do we really need a studly version of the cupcake so that men feel more comfortable eating them? Check out our (informal) reader poll...
Poll: Do most men consider regular cupcakes too "girly" to eat?
- Gramsmom: That's absurd. Real men eat cupcakes!
- Nicolemstacy: I've never seen a guy turn down cupcakes or any other baked dessert for that matter. My hubby can tear up some cupcakes and make it look manly!
- MythicMMM: I think that description is reserved for tiramisu. Men will gorge themselves on bite-sized cakes all day if you let them.
- KTMOM: The only problem with cupcakes and men is that they can't eat just ONE. They want three or four!
- Anonymous: My brother prefers [cupcakes] to cake because he doesn't need a fork and can just shove the whole thing down his throat in one bite—he's 26.
What do you think? Do we need a manly version of the cupcake?