The 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver start tonight! Are you tuning in for the Opening Ceremonies?
Because you'll be glued to the television for the next two weeks watching speed skating, snowboarding, curling, and who knows what else, what better time to host a Winter Olympics Viewing Party? We've got the hook-up for a few great winter games-themed menu ideas...
Nanaimo Bars in the shape of the Olympic Rings, of course, are a must for any Olympic party. These rich cookie bars are hugely popular in Canada (where the Olympics are being held, duh), and traditionally made with graham crackers, coconut, cocoa, and nuts. Check out The Kitchn for the recipe.
Here are a few other suggestions for your Winter Olympics watching get-together:
- Beaver Tails (fried dough, also a classic Canadian treat) —All Recipes.
- Snowball Cupcakes —Martha Stewart
- Olympic-Inspired Cocktails, including the "Triple Lutz," "Silver," and "Fire and Ice" —Slashfood
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick —Pennies on a Platter
- Olympic Rings Cake —Kid Spot
- Snowmen Cupcakes —CafeMom
- Maple Syrup and Canadian Bacon Cupcakes —Food Network
- Winter Olympic Mini Donuts —The Food Librarian
Are you watching the Winter Olympics tonight? What would you serve at a Winter Olympic-themed party?