To Kelsey Banfield, a.k.a. The Naptime Chef, eggnog is the epitome of Christmas flavor and the inspiration for her Eggnog Cookies with browned butter icing. She says: "I love the blend of heavy cream and warm spices, everything about it warms me up and gets me in the holiday spirit."
Eggnog Cookies from The Naptime Chef
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 c. Eggnog (not low-fat)
1 t. rum extract
3 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. cinnamon
For Browned Butter Icing:
5 T. unsalted butter
2 c. powdered (confectioners) sugar
1/8 c. evaporated milk
1 t. good vanilla extract
Sprinkles, for decorating!
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the egg and egg nog, mix well.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a large bowl and mix together. With the mixer on low, slowly add this to the wet ingredients until just combined.
4. Roll dough into balls and drop them on a cookie sheet. Press the cookies down so that the tops are slightly flattened. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and edges are browned.
5. Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before icing.
6. For icing: Heat butter in a small skillet on the stove. Cook until butter becomes toasty brown and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Remove butter from heat and pour into a bowl with powdered sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. Ice each cookie. Decorate cookies with sprinkles if you want to make them especially festive!!