This isn't the first time I'm written about my love affair with leftovers. In my house, we always have food leftover from dinner; often, Mr. Cafe Kim and I will use it to make sandwiches for lunch the next day.
Can I tell you a secret? I actually prefer food on the second day—the flavors are so much more intense! Here are some of our favorite meals-turned-into-sandwiches:
- Chicken Breasts -- Chicken Salad Sandwiches: Leftover baked chicken breasts or roast chicken make great chicken salad sandwiches the next day. Dice 2 leftover chicken breasts; mix with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon mustard, diced apples or celery (or something else crunchy), salt and pepper; serve open-faced on thickly sliced wheat bread.
- Roast -- Shredded Meat Sandwiches: Slow cooker pork roast or beef roast is even better then next day. Top hamburger buns with shredded meat and add a dash of barbecue sauce if it's too dry.
- Eggplant Parmesan -- Vegetable Sandwiches: We make a huge baking dish of eggplant parmesan on the weekends, and eat it the rest of the week. For a tasty vegetable sandwich, layer a slice of eggplant Parmesan with grilled onions and mushrooms on thick slices of bread.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs -- Meatball Sandwiches: My hands-down favorite leftover sandwich is the meatball sandwich. Whenever we have a spaghetti, I save a few meatballs and a little bit of sauce to serve on a toasted sub the next day.
- Egg Frittata -- Egg Sandwich: It is my ardent belief that you can eat an egg sandwich at anytime of the day. Just save a couple slices of this Tomato-Basil Frittata; the next day, layer it between two slices of toast with melted cheese and a slice of turkey bacon (optional).
What's your favorite "leftover" sandwich?