Photo by ButtrflyTattoos
Having a scarecrow-making party is a great way to get the neighborhood or family together! If you have small children, you may want to work together to build one, but if the kids are older, build a whole scarecrow family!
Setting the stage:
- Decorate the inside and out with pumpkins, gourds, corn stalks, and dried leaves.
- Spread a tarp outside your home for easy clean-up of any unused hay.
- Place miniature scarecrows around for decoration.
- Use burlap to cover tables.
- If serving food, gather each guest's utensils in a napkin and tie with a length of twine.
What you need:
- Bales of hay
- Large safety pins
- Old jeans, shirts, hats, and a pair of pantyhose for each scarecrow. You can ask your guests to bring these.
How to make the scarecrow:
- Fill the girdle portion of the pantyhose with hay to make the head. Tie at top with twine and tie the legs together to make the neck.
- Stuff the shirt and pants with hay. Tie off ends of sleeves and pants legs with twine.
- Place head on top of the shirt and pull the legs of the pantyhose down inside the front and back of the shirt around the hay, tying together at the bottom of the hay.
- Tuck the shirt inside the pants and attach at the waistband using large safety pins.
- Decorate with the hat, markers, and other accessories as desired.
Has your family ever made a scarecrow?