Photo by Justina_W
I love looking at creative birthday or wedding cakes. For me, the more unique, the better!
Just check out this cake from Justina_W for her son (who's name is, appropriately, Jack). How awesome is that?!
Cookie has some really great recipes for creative cakes on their website. Here's one for a crazy carousel cake:
What you need:
- 1 18-ounce box cake mix
- 2 8-inch round cake pans
- 2 15-ounce containers
- frosting (plus food coloring, if desired)
- 2 drinking straws
- 5 candy sticks
- Colorful decorative candies
- 1 party hat, or colored corrugated cardboard
- Scotch tape and construction paper (optional)
- 1 gumdrop
Bake two 8-inch round cakes. Let cool, then stack them in layers, with frosting between. Insert the straws, cut slightly shorter than the height of both layers combined, to prevent sliding.
- Thickly frost the entire cake.
- Insert the candy sticks at evenly spaced intervals just inside the perimeter, and decorate the cake with the candies.
- For the top, use either the party hat or a cone fashioned from a 10 1/2-inch circle of the cardboard with a slit cut from the edge to the center. (If desired, use construction paper to make the decorative crown around the cone, as shown, and affix it with Scotch tape.)
- Add the gumdrop to the top of the party hat or cone, then place it atop the candy sticks.
Not sure if I'm talented enough to try this, but if you are, I'm definitely talented enough to eat it! LoL!
Have you or your kids ever had a creative cake? What did it look like?