I've had this great menu idea for a summer barbecue for weeks now. But because I'm currently sans grill, I am happy to share with you. Here goes: Mini Steak Sandwiches with do-it-yourself-toppings-smorgasbord including cheese, caramelized onions, the works! After all, everything goes great with steak!
Here's how to do it:
1. First, make the sandwiches. You will need:
Steak (If you're serving a lot of people, try to go for the cheapest cut or something on sale. Strip, flank, or skirt will work. If using a particularly tough cut of meat, you can even marinate it the night before in balsamic vinegar and olive oil to tenderize it. I usually figure 1/4 lb per person.)
Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill steak until grilled to desired doneness (I usually go for medium rare). Slice meat thinly, and layer slices between buns.
2. Now, assemble your do-it-yourself-toppings-smorgasbord, basically a variety of spreads, condiments, and veggies, that your guests can use to top their own sandwiches. Here are some ideas:
- Mixed greens, tomato slices, and mayo (a classic combo)
- Provolone cheese, grilled bell pepper and onion (channeling the Philly cheesesteak)
- Steak sauce
- Roasted red pepper and garlic aioli
- Caramelized onions and mushrooms
- Spicy mustard
- Horseradish cream cheese
What do you like on your steak sandwich?