This summer we visited an organic pig farm—and, wow, did we have a good time. We took a hay ride and learned how the farm worked; met the pigs; pet a baby calf and some donkeys; picked strawberries, and had a picnic lunch overlooking the fields.
Sounds like a blast, right? It was, especially for the kids in our group. They were having so much fun they didn't even realize how much they were learning. Here are the top five reasons why visiting an organic farm with kids is a great idea:
- Kids get to see where their food comes from: They can make the connection between what is on their plates at home and how food is grown.
- They can learn all about farm animals and maybe even pet some, too!
- It's a great excuse to get them to spend some time outside in the fresh air.
- Most kids are excited about the chance to meet a real live farmer.
- Visiting an organic farm is a fun and educational activity that is as much fun for adults as it is for the kids.
Call ahead to make sure the farm has visiting hours. To find a farm near you that offers tours and visits, try one of the following resources:
Have you ever visited an organic farm with your family?