It's Memorial Day Weekend, which means summer is finally here! I'm looking forward to thr first barbecue of the season—and a big, fat juicy burger. Martha Stewart has recipes for 25 different kinds of burgers. They all look pretty yummy, but this one's my favorite:
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 pounds ground beef, preferably chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes (12 ounces), sliced
- 8 leaves Bibb lettuce (1 small head)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Season meat with salt and pepper, mix very lightly, and shape into four patties. Grill hamburgers 4 to 6 minutes per side for rare and 9 to 11 minutes for well done. If making cheeseburgers, lay cheese slices on top of the hamburgers after they have been flipped.
- Serve immediately on buns (toasted, if desired), topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and onion slices.
For more burger recipes, see Martha's Summer Grilling Guide.
Are you barbecuing this weekend? What's your favorite way to eat a burger?