Inspired by Facebook's "25 Random Things About Me" and Cafe Sheri's "25 Things About My Home" in Home and Garden Buzz, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you about my (sometimes clean, always cheery) kitchen...
25 Random Things About My Kitchen
- I'm forever running out of butter and fresh garlic.
- I hate, hate, HATE when guests use my recycling bin as a garbage can. Don't they see all the empty wine bottles in there?
- While we're on the subject of recycling, I'm concerned because my dog's favorite place in the kitchen is actually the recycling bin (not the garbage!). I'm always yelling at her to get out of it. Is she a wino or just an eco-friendly dog?
- My first favorite thing about my kitchen is the hanging pot and pan rack. It's so pretty and great for easy storage!
- The broiler is a serious point of contention between Mr. Cafe Kim and me. He loves it; I absolutely refuse to use it. In fact, the broiler is dead to me. I've burnt way too many things in there...
- Speaking of burning...if my apartment was burning down and I was sure everyone was safe, I would go back in for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. It's a mini one, but totally fantastic. My mom got it for me for Christmas this year, and I'm obsessed. I could spend hours switching the attachments in and out and flipping back the top. Seriously, I'd make out with it if it wasn't electric.
- My dishwasher has been broken for two weeks. It's sort of ruining my life.
- Another point of contention in my house? Where we keep chocolate. I like to keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn't melt, but Mr. Café Kim INSISTS that storing it in the cupboard (not the pantry!) helps it to maintain the "perfect" temperature. (Insert eye roll here.)
- I grow my own fresh herbs in my kitchen—rosemary, basil, oregano. I named them. They're like my little pets. That I eat.
- We've also named the food processor. We refer to it fondly as "The Monster". That's because the blade has "bit" me, many, many times causing lots of blood to gush out. Oh that little Monster!
- The only thing in my freezer is ice...when I remember to make it.
- In the fridge we have two jars of peanut butter. One is marked with a black "P" for people; the other is for the dog.
- I love vintage serving plates, bowls, platters, etc. When I'm shopping at the flea market, I won't make a purchase until the seller invents a cool story about where the item originated. Then I pretend it's true. That's how I got my antique cupcake stand that was once used to serve cupcakes to a platoon led by our very own President George Washington!
- I have one of those spaghetti measurers from Italy, but I always use the next notch up. No wonder those Italians are so darn skinny!
- My favorite recent kitchen purchase? Vintage champagne glasses that were $2 each!
- I have a serious paper towel addiction, especially when I'm cooking. I've tried to go cold turkey, but find that a gradual withdrawal is way more successful.
- My toaster burns one side of the toast; the other side doesn't get brown at all. What's up with that?
- If I were rich, I'd throw out all my spices and start anew. They say you should change those out every six months, but really? Who has the cash? Plus, I, ahem, really enjoy musty 6-year-old dried basil.
- I think it's way more fun to have non-matching wine glasses.
- I just started using green cleaning products (tea tree oil, baking soda, lemon juice, hot water) in my kitchen, and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've been wanting to make the switch for a while; the fact that the dog licks anything and everything was the final push.
- I detest cooking spray. It's gets all over everything and is so hard to clean up! Invent a better product already!
- What's on my kitchen wish list? One of those silicone mini muffin trays. Hint, hint.
- I constantly check out cookbooks from the library, and they are strewn all around my kitchen. Guess what? The library people aren't so happy if you by mistake spill stuff on their cookbooks whilst cooking. Oops.
- My kitchen equipment is a hodgepodge of gifts, hand-me-downs, and thrift store finds. I wouldn't have it any other way. Whenever I'm cooking, I like to think about the people who gave me/previously used the items.
- My second favorite thing about my kitchen is the island in the middle of it. When people come over for dinner, everyone sits around the island, drinks wine, and watches me cook. It's my favorite time of the day.
I'd love to hear random things about YOUR kitchen! Share one or two here or do a full list in Journals and include a link to the post below.
Also, don't miss other lists from Daily Buzz bloggers:
- 25 Random Things About My Pregnancy by Cafe Melisa
- 25 Random Things About My Baby by Cafe Suzanne
- 25 Random Things About the Oscars and Me by Cafe MichelleL
- 25 Random Unhealthy Things About Me by Cafe Kristen
- 25 Random Things About My House by Cafe MicheleZ