Woman Has Stomach Removed After Drinking Trendy Cocktail

woman has stomach removed cocktail liquid nitrogen Foodies are always on the lookout for new trends. Who can blame them? It's fun to try something completely different. But for one adventurous woman drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen proved nearly fatal

Advertisement

Gaby Scanlon of the United Kingdom had her stomach removed after Oscar's Wine Bar & Bistro served her a Nitro-Jägermeister drink. While celebrating her 18th birthday with friends, Scanlon simply wanted to try this new beverage which is enveloped in swirling vapor. Immediately after consuming it, smoke began pouring out of her nose and mouth and she was taken to the hospital where doctors discovered that "an explosion" had taken place in her stomach.

More from The StirDanger in the Kitchen! 15 Food-Related Injuries

This poor young woman! Imagine having your birthday take this near-deadly turn all because of a cocktail, which, by the way, the bartender told her to drink "while it's still smoking." 

As heartbreaking as this story is, it's definitely one to pay attention to because liquid nitrogen–based foods and beverages seem to be popping up everywhere. Because of its freezing capabilities, it's being used to make ice cream, chill cocktails, cold-brew coffee, and even flash-freeze herbs, which are said to then have a richer flavor and a nicer texture as a result. 

Why, if it can cause such an adverse reaction, is it so popular? Its dramatic smoky presentation usually wows diners, but in most cases, the liquid nitrogen boils away before consumers end up ingesting any. 

Professor Peter Barham, of the University of Bristol's School of Physics, tells BBC News that just as no one would drink boiling water or oil, you must allow the liquid nitrogen to fully evaporate before drinking or eating

John Emsley, fellow and science writer at the Royal Society of Chemistry, says consuming just a few drops of liquid nitrogen can cause "horrendous" problems. He explains to BBC:

If you drank more than a few drops of liquid nitrogen, certainly a teaspoon, it would freeze, and become solid and brittle like glass. Imagine if that happened in the alimentary canal or the stomach.

The liquid also quickly picks up heat, boils and becomes a gas, which could cause damage such as perforations or cause a stomach to burst.

This explains what happened to this poor young woman and it'll certainly make us think twice about sampling anything concocted using this avant-garde technique.

 

Image © Nikolai Golovanoff/Corbis

Read More >