The cupcake craze may or may not be over, but in my house, they will never go out of style! Cupcakes are our go-to birthday treat at school and, quite often, for our home parties as well. Kids love to help decorate them, and they look just as appealing no matter how unrestrained your little assistants are with sprinkles and toppings.
Cupcakes just say "fun,” and that's especially true for these extra-cute and festive ones using red and blue sprinkles for a patriotic effect. You could adapt these almost endlessly ... school colors for a graduation party, team colors for a tailgate, or pink and blue for a baby shower.
Vanilla Confetti Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 - 25 minutes Yield: 18 cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup red and blue sprinkles
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF.
- CREAM the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in a large mixing bowl, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- SIFT together the dry ingredients.
- ADD the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, in three equal parts. After each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated. Do NOT overbeat.
- ADD the vanilla.
- SCRAPE the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- ADD the sprinkles, and mix for 30 seconds.
- LINE a muffin tin with Reynolds® Foil Baking Cups.
- Carefully FILL baking cup, about 2/3 full.
- BAKE until the cupcakes are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- REMOVE from the oven and let cool completely before frosting with your favorite buttercream frosting.
- TOP with remaining sprinkles.
Reynolds Kitchens Tip: Foil baking cups add a fun and festive feel to your cupcakes or muffins, which will put a smile on everyone’s face when they’re served! Plus, foil baking cups are sturdy enough to use with or without a muffin tin. So if you’re ever in a pinch, simply place the filled baking cups on a baking sheet and you’re ready to go!
Moms, what's your favorite way to decorate cupcakes?