Nothing can impress your family or friends quicker than a "homemade" pie. I put "homemade" in quotes, because, as much as I'd love to make my dough from scratch, that's a rarity. Homemade dough is time-consuming, and, if you're me, it doesn't always come out right.
But that doesn't mean that you can't still have a truly unbelievable pie.
Every spring, my go-to pie is a wonderfully delicious strawberry pie. It's sweet; it's juicy; and it's always a crowd-pleaser. If you're looking for a super tasty dessert to serve to guests, look no further, friends. Yum.
- 1 unbaked pasty shell
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until slightly cooled.
3. Meanwhile, arrange strawberries in the crust. Pour gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set.
Image via Hiltrud Moller-Eberth/Flickr