Attention leprechauns: St. Patrick's Day is just 12 days away. Do you have your corned beef recipe ready? How do you like yours? We happen to like ours easy, nice and easy. That's what slow cookers are for. So go ahead and have fun chasing rainbows and marching in your St. Patrick's Day parade. We've got the perfect slow cooker corned beef and cabbage recipe for you. Just 10 minutes of prep time in the morning will get you a satisfying dinner by the evening -- no luck required!
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage via Spoonful
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 1/2 hours
6 red potatoes, halved
4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 (4- to 5-pound) corned beef, rinsed
3 large bay leaves
1 teaspoon black pepper corns
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
8 ounces beer (any unflavored kind will do; you can substitute water here, as well)
2 cups low sodium chicken stock or water
1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 2-inch wedges
1. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker pot.
2. Rinse the corned beef and lay it over the vegetables. Add in bay leaves, pepper corns, and Dijon mustard.
3. Pour beer and stock over everything. Make sure liquid covers most of the corned beef; if not, add more water or stock. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
4. Add the cabbage to the slow cooker and cook until cabbage is just tender (about 30 minutes).
5. Plate beef and veggies.
6. Slice beef against the grain and serve with extra mustard.
Image via Envision/Corbis