Pot pies are fantastic meals to make on nights when you don't really feel like cooking or washing more than one pot, but still crave something creamy, warm, and indulgent. This pot pie recipe stands apart from all others because of the addition of buttery, fluffy homemade biscuits, which are beautifully arranged on top of the pie like candles on a birthday cake.
Not only will you likely have most of these ingredients in your pantry, but you'll marvel at how simple it actually is to whip up restaurant-grade southern-style biscuits in the comfort of your own home. This recipe is brought to you by Damn Delicious and yields 4 yummy servings. You can substitute shredded chicken with turkey, and it's important to note that you should make sure your butter is chilled before you use it to make the biscuit dough.
Biscuit Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add cold butter, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10- by 7-inch rectangle, about 1-inch thick. Cut out 6-8 rounds using a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet; set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- To make the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, milk, and thyme, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add chicken mixture to prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes. Top with prepared biscuits and bake until tops are golden brown, an additional 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.