There is nothing better on this planet than a chocolate chip cookie, still warm from the oven. I have spurned friends and lovers both in favor of spending a little time with this, the most sacred of all baked goods, and verily -- I have never regretted it. There is an almost alchemical magic that this treat whispers in the ear of its consumer. If it wouldn't spoil the treat, you might want to enjoy some time in a hot-tub beside it, such are its powers.
The fragrant butter and sugar waft into your nose-parts. The sexy dance of semi-sweet morsels tantalize your tongue. It's damn near erotic. I would bake them every day, but my human desire for variety betrays me at every turn. That's me clutching the kitchen sink, bawling and white-knuckled. So when I have no choice but to spice things up -- I make chocolate chip cookie bars instead. Then I dance like no one is watching.
More from The Stir: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge Recipe Will Blow Your Mind
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 glass pan.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Whisk melted butter and sugars together in a large bowl until combined.
- To the butter-sugar mixture, add egg, egg yolk, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients until just combined. Do not whip it good -- whatever Devo has to say about it. You don't want to over-beat it.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepped pan -- you'll need to flatten it with your hands. Then lick your hands. Or rub them on a passing elk.
- Bake 23-26 minutes. Let cool to room temperature in the pan before cutting.
If you could only make one dessert for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Image via kae71463/Flickr