Most people in my life either love or hate pumpkin pie, but just about everyone can agree on apple pie. It's the all-American classic, particularly perfect for the holiday season, but really, delicious just about any time of year. You might even argue any time of day (my husband would!), but there's a more acceptable way to gobble it up in the a.m., well before your big turkey dinner has even been served: As French toast, of course!
Bonus: This mouthwatering Apple Pie French Toast recipe is so easy and versatile, you could even go off-recipe and use leftovers from your Thanksgiving apple pie as the topping. Nommmm!
Check it out ...
Apple Pie French Toast from ClosetCooking.com
(makes 2 servings)
1. Simmer the apples, butter, sugar, flour cinnamon and water until the apples are tender, about 10-15 minutes and set aside.
2. Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla in a wide dish.
3. Dip the bread into the egg mixture to coat on both sides.
4. Melt some butter in a pan and fry the slices of bread until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Serve the french toast covered in the caramelized apples along with some candied walnuts.
Image via shoshanah/Flickr