Let's get real here. The best part about Thanksgiving dinner is the sides. Sure, the turkey's good and all, but what's better than a giant slice of Mashed Potato Pie? Yum. Seriously nothing tops it.
My family has been making this dish for as long as I can remember, and every year, it's the table favorite, because it's just so good. And bonus? It's incredibly easy to make.
If you're looking to spice up your mashed potatoes this year, try this super delicious Mashed Potato Pie Recipe. Promise you, it will not disappoint. And you'll be eating it again before next Thanksgiving.
Mashed Potato Pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
2. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.
4. Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Image via dupeyxl/Flickr