Hello pumpkin pie, old friend. It's nice to see you again. You're ... the same as ever. Same pumpkin puree, same okay crust, same brownish color, same mix of the usual spices, cinnamon and nutmeg. Don't you think it's time for a makeover? Wouldn't it be exciting to try something new? I don't mean new as in banana cream pie. I like to stick with tradition when it comes to Thanksgiving. I'm just talking about mixing it up a little. I think we're ready -- we're ready to try a fun twist on pumpkin pie. Here are seven pumpkin pie recipes, each with a little something extra exciting.
More from The Stir: Thanksgiving Cookies Instead of Pie?! 5 Winning Recipes
1. Pumpkin Pecan Pie (Thanksgiving Twofer Pie): This pie by Cafe Johnsonia is the answer to my annual dilemma! Pumpkin or pecan? I only want to make one pie -- but with this recipe I can make both. It's a win-win.
2. Caramel Pumpkin Pie With Pecan Streusel: And if I'm feeling really ambitious, maybe I'll make this twofer instead, also by Cafe Johnsonia. I mean ... good Lord.
3. Butternut Squash Pie With Nairn's Oatcake Cracker Crust: Shhh, it's not pumpkin, it's butternut squash. But this pie recipe by My Life Runs on Food hits the same orange squash note. And you can swap in pumpkin instead if you really want to.
4. Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie: Yes, it's time to go there. This gluten-free pie has a buckwheat crust, a wonderfully flavorful grain. This recipe is also vegan.
5. Turtle Pumpkin Pie: Caramel ice cream and pudding ... are you sure this isn't pumpkin pie trifle? Also has a graham cracker crust and uses mostly pre-made boxed mixes, in case this was starting to sound a little too ambitious for you.
6. Mini Pumpkin Pie Turkeys: These are just so dang cute -- have a look.
7. Bourbon Brown Sugar Whipped Cream: Even if you do still go with the usual pumpkin pie recipe, you can still make it extra special with this decadent topping.
Bourbon Brown Sugar Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon
Whip cream until almost stiff. Pour in sugar and bourbon. Whip until stiff peaks form. Spoon over pie.
Do you have a favorite twist on pumpkin pie?
Image via Cafe Johnsonia