Have you been to your local grocery store or deli lately to stock up on some ready made foods? Then you better check your fridge! Food giant Reser's has initiated a massive recall of dozens of potato salads, pasta salads, slaws, and other prepared foods sold at retail and food service establishments across the United States and Canada. The foods sold at the likes of Wal-Mart, Safeway, Aldi's, 7-11, and others may contain the dangerous bacteria Listeria monocytogenes.
Think you have one of these foods in your kitchen? Here's what you need to know about the recall.
1. The recalled foods were all manufactured by Reser's Fine Foods at its Topeka, Kansas, plant, however they are sold under a variety of brand names including 7-11, Aldi, Block and Barrell, Casa Solana, Dickeys, Dillons, Famous Daves, Cobblestreet Market, Jewel, King Sooper, Miller, Mrs. Giles, Mrs. Weaver, Orval Kent, Green Hill, Reser's, Chef's Choice, Safeway Deli Counter, Sav-A-Lot, Stonemill, Essential Everyday, Sysco, Cross Valley Farms, Wal-Mart, West Creek, Yoder, My Premier, and Yum.
2. The list of recalled products includes salads, slaws, dips, and other refrigerated foods.
3. Lysteria is a bacterium that causes the infection listeriosis which can be fatal. The disease primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns, and adults with weakened immune systems, however the FDA is not aware of anyone sickened by these products.
4. The recalled products have different expiration dates, some as late as December of this year, but the FDA instructs consumers to take the food back to the store for a refund or discard it immediately rather than eating it.
5. The affected packages are marked with a Use-by-Date or Best By Date and followed by a plant identifier code of 20. Products affected by this recall are listed on the FDA website.
7. For more information on what to do with recalled product or what to do if you've eaten some, call contact Reser's Fine Foods Consumer Hotline 1-888-257-7913 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. EST.
What's the last thing you bought from the deli section? Is it on the list?
Image via Laura Johansen/Beateworks/Corbis