- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- Frosting, for topping
- Black licorice nubs or brown peanut M&Ms
- Black licorce string
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low; beat in half of the flour mixture, then all of the milk, then the remaining flour mixture until just combined.
2. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes to the rack to cool completely. Top with frosting.
3. Add either two licorice nubs or two peanut M&Ms to center of cupcake to create the spider body. Add eight small pieces of licorice string to create legs. Enjoy!
Image via somewhere in the world/Flickr