I love cooking, but I don't do it nearly as often as I'd like, because the one thing about I can't stand is cleaning up. Even though I finally have a dishwasher (thank you, baby Jesus!), it's still a pain to scrub various pots; scrape plates; and wipe down countertops. And now that I have a child, I hate cleaning up even more. Kind of a bummer, because nothing beats a homemade meal.
Anyway, enough complaining. This is about solutions. I recently stumbled upon an amazing one pot recipe -- that's right, one pot! -- for pasta, broccoli rabe, and bacon, and let me tell you: It was unbelievable. And making things all the more unbelievable was the fact that the entire meal was made in one pot.
If you hate cleaning, but love delicious food, you need to make this absolutely fantastic recipe for One-Pot Pasta With Broccoli Rabe and Bacon.
One-Pot Pasta With Broccoli Rabe and Bacon adapted from Martha Stewart
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound short pasta, such as fusilli or penne
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Add broccoli rabe 2 minutes before pasta is done cooking. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and set aside; drain pasta mixture.
2. Add bacon to pasta pot and cook over medium-high until some fat renders, 2 minutes. Add walnuts and cook until nuts are toasted and bacon is lightly browned and crisp, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pasta mixture; toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan.
Image via Nicole Fabian-Weber