When you think "double chocolate chip muffins," the first word that comes to your mind most definitely isn't "healthy" or "skinny." Well, leave it to the creative bakers out there to be able to concoct some amazing "skinny double chocolate chip muffins"! Yes, they do exist!
Developed by Sally's Baking Addiction, instead of tons of oil and butter, this recipe uses applesauce, honey, egg whites, even Greek yogurt. And you won't be able to taste any difference, we promise! As easy to make as they are delicious, you can indulge in these sweet treats guilt-free.
Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins by Sally's Baking Addiction
Makes 12 muffins. Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well up to 3 months: heat up for 1 minute after frozen.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 large egg)
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt, plain or vanilla)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus a few more for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Do not use liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, honey, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk them all together until smooth, with no yogurt lumps remaining.
3. Sift* the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Get any dry pockets of flour out. Fold in the mini chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky. This is ok.
4. Divide the batter evenly amount 12 liners -- fill them all the way to the top if you can. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature down to 375, and continue to bake for 13 more minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for only 2 more minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: *Sifting the dry ingredients is optional.