Most of us have never known a world without the spongy yellow, cream-filled cakes known as the beloved Twinkie until last year when the old Hostess went bankrupt. But what the revamped Hostess Brands is calling "The Sweetest Comeback in the History of Ever!" is happening on grocery store shelves across the country.
It was beyond bizarre to watch the lunch box staple disappear from shelves, but there have been even odder developments surrounding the Twinkies' return. Here, five weird Twinkie facts to "eat up" before picking up a new box ...
- You can still buy the old version on eBay. Never mind those fresh boxes being delivered to your neighborhood store! If only OLD Twinkies can satisfy your craving, you can buy some from an eBay user offering a box of 10 Twinkies for $15,000. The Twinkies have been expired since December, but apparently, this box is a "collectible." Suuuure.
- Twinkies are back, but their old tagline is history. "Hey, Where's the Cream Filling?" is no more, a company spokesperson confirmed last month. Now boxes tout, "The Sweetest Comeback in the History of Ever." (Wonder how long that'll last, though ...?)
- Their shelf life has been extended. This is the biggest, buzziest "makeover" news by far: The cakes have gone from good for 26 days to 45 days.
- New Twinkies are smaller! They used to be 42.5 grams per cake and are now 38.5.
- New Twinkies are fewer calories! The previous generation cakes were 150 calories per cake, whereas the new ones are 135. (Likely because of #4.)
- Twinkies are being targeted to college-age guys now. Used to be that the golden snack cake's ads were geared toward kiddos, but now, their branding expert admits, “There’s not much you can say for health and nutrition in a Twinkie. So generally, the lowest hanging fruit for a company has been young males.” Twinkies = now the frat boy food of choice!
- You can "feed your cake face" on Vine. The new "dude" approach ties into how the new Hostess Brands has a social media campaign called feedyourcakeface.com, which asks people to post Vine videos of themselves getting ready for the Twinkies' relaunch.
Will you be checking out the new Twinkies?
Image via nexus_icon/Flickr