When I want quick and easy mac and cheese, which is most nights I don't feel like cooking, I tend to reach for the classic blue box of Kraft. But lately I’ve been feeling guilty about eating the powdered-cheese-and-pasta concoction. There has to be a homemade option out there that's just as tasty and simple, right? Right!
This (amazingly) fast recipe lets you add the kind of cheese and milk you want to precooked pasta so you’re in control of what ingredients you're eating. Plus you get to pick which kind of pasta you want to use. (My favorites are the shells or any other fun-shaped pasta.) To make things even easier still, I usually cook a little extra pasta so I can have some left over for the next day.
A yummy dinner in five minutes? Um, yes please!
5-Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese adapted from Picky Palate
- 1/2 pound cooked pasta of choice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place pasta, cheese, milk, salt, and pepper into a microwave safe bowl and stir to mix.
- Lightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Stir pasta and then microwave for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir until creamy and smooth.