There's this photo I keep seeing on Pinterest -- this crazy, chocolate and vanilla-striped cake, "zebra cake." It's freakin' gorgeous, as cakes go. It looks complicated -- but it can't be, if so many people are making it, right? Well I've found the recipe, and oh happy day -- it's not as difficult as it looks at all. The recipe below will walk you through how to get those stripes. Make everyone ooh and ahh with this zebra cake recipe!
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk (1% or higher)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line with a parchment circle and grease the parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, blend the sugar and eggs for about 2 minutes. On low speed, mix in the oil, milk, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl halfway through.
4. Remove 2 cups of the batter and set it aside in a bowl. Sift the cocoa powder over the remaining batter in the mixing bowl. Mix for about 30 seconds.
5. To make the stripes, spoon about 3 tablespoons of the vanilla batter into the center of the pan. Next spoon 3 tablespoons of the chocolate batter into the center of the vanilla batter. This will make the vanilla batter spread out. Continue alternating the batter to make a bulls-eye.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to continue cooking.
7. Frost or dust with powdered sugar.