I have a love/hate relationship with cotton candy. I love it in the sense that once it melts on your tongue, it's a sugary-sweet party in your mouth. I hate it in the sense that it's kind of like eating fuzz. So when I saw this recipe for Cotton Candy Cupcakes, I was all ears. All the benefits of C-squared (and then some) without the weird texture.
Delight your children and dazzle your friends with this easy cotton candy cupcake recipe. Not only do they taste good, they couldn't be prettier.
Cotton Candy Cupcakes adapted from Somewhere Splendid
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups pink vanilla cotton candy sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) softened unsalted butter, cut into ½ sticks
- 4 large egg whites, plus 1 whole egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cotton candy flavoring
- Food coloring
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
1. Add the dry ingredients together in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine on a slow speed until well blended.
2. Add the softened butter, one half stick at a time, allowing the butter to combine before adding the next. With the mixer set at slow, add one egg white at a time, followed by the whole egg, scraping down the sides and ensuring each egg white is completely incorporated before the next addition.
3. In a small separate bowl, whisk to combine the milk and vanilla extract. Add the milk and vanilla mixture to bowl of the mixer in small portions, allowing the mixer to combine the liquid completely before continuing. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again, and continue to beat for an additional minute or two until the batter is fluffy. Preheat your oven to 350F.
4. Fill your cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick just comes out clean, so as not to overbake. Set aside to cool.
5. In a standing mixer, whisk together the sugar and softened butter on low speed. Once it becomes well blended, increase the speed to medium until the mixture becomes fluffy. Add vanilla, cotton candy flavoring, food coloring, and cream, and beat on medium until well incorporated – about 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with pre-made cotton candy if so desired.
Image via Sharon Hahn Darling