Some people just love to attack President Obama for some of the most inane remarks, the most recent of which he told student reporters at the White House Kids' State Dinner on Tuesday ... When asked what his favorite food is, Obama said broccoli. Gasp! And then, people went looneytunes on him, because WHAT A LIE. (Meanwhile, PETA is giving the POTUS a pat on the back with this crazy-funny Broccoli Obama shirt ...)
Okay, okay, so we know broccoli isn't his first food love, but come on -- obviously he was just trying to do his part for First Lady Michelle Obama's campaign to fight childhood obesity. And we know she woulda given him the stink eye if he had said ice cream! Just to clear things up and set the record straight, here 17 foods that are much more likely President Obama's all-time favorite, based on info from The Obama Menu: Dining With Barack Obama, A White House Garden Cookbook, and clues from the POTUS himself over the years ...
- Hawaiian-style chili
- Obama family chili, of which the POTUS has said, “I’ve been using this chili recipe since college and would bring it to any potluck. I can’t reveal all the secrets, but if you make it right, it’s just got the right amount of bite, the right amount of oomph in it, and it will clear your sinuses.”
- Shoyu chicken
- Macaroni salad
- Kahlua pig
- Lomi salmon
- Long rice
- Haupia (a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert)
- Fresh pineapple
- Spam musubi (a block of rice with a slice of grilled Spam on top, with a seaweed wrap holding it together)
- Assorted sushi
- Shave (NOT shaved) ice -- especially from Island Snow on Oahu, Hawaii
- Sweet potato pie -- of which POTUS said back in October 2008 before winning the general election, "We decided to stop at a diner because I was hungry and I decided I wanted some pie. Pie. That’s what I wanted. ... I like sweet potato pie. I'm thinking of having a sweet potato pie here in Philadelphia. Because I've heard a lot of people are saying they can make sweet potato pie. I'll put it up against my mother in law's sweet potato pie.”
- White House Turkey Lasagna With Spinach -- White House chef Cristeta Comerford’s lasagna, said to be an Obama family favorite, uses winter garden-fresh spinach and fresh ground turkey. Sounds pretty healthy and delicious to me! Mmm!
- Al's Italian Beef, which is a Windy City staple Obama admitted to loving on a Chicago radio station.
- Deep dish pizza, another Chicago must-eat.
- BBQ, specifically steaming beef ribs, greens, black-eyed peas, rice, and a corn muffin -- The President's well-documented BBQ meal at Kenny's BBQ Smokehouse on Capitol Hill.
What was your response to Obama's "controversial" broccoli remark?
Image via Getty Images