Now that the weather's (finally) heated up, we can have barbecues. And picnics. And picnics where we can barbecue! Yay! So. What are you going to bring to the table? Your sister-in-law is bringing dessert. Your cousin is bringing the burgers. Ooh, I know! You can bring a side! (I mean, come on, aren't sides what it's all about, anyway?) Here is, hands down, the best recipe for potato salad you'll ever have. It's easy to make, and I promise you, it'll be the most delicious thing at the shindig.
Actually, I think I'm going to make this recipe tonight!
- 3 pounds potatoes, cooked until just tender, cubed, cooled
- 5 or 6 hard cooked eggs, cooled, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped celery, optional
- thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumber, for garnish, optional
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (a little more or less, as desired)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine potatoes, egg, onions, and celery. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. (Stir the mayonnaise and mustard in a little at a time, until you have the flavor and consistency you like.)
2. Top with thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumber, if desired.
Image via Andrea Nguyen/Flickr