I'm not going to lie: my version of homemade lemonade comes straight from the frozen aisle in the supermarket. But I'd be willing to put a little more effort into the summer drink if it meant that I'd get to sip on some tasty watermelon lemonade or some extra tart pom-ade.
We've put together a list of our favorite refreshing lemonade recipes that are perfect for summertime. Whether you start the lemonade from scratch or use the too-convenient-to-pass-up frozen lemonade cans, the drinks are sure to take the heat down a notch.
And, hey, maybe your kids can add some pizzazz to their next lemonade stand and sell some of these lip-smacking drinks too!
1. Old-Fashioned Lemonade -- You can't go wrong with traditional lemonade, especially when it's fresh-squeezed. (This recipe is also a great base lemonade for all the other recipes on the list.)
2. Frozen Lemonade -- Tired of regular lemonade, but love the classic flavor? Slushify your next batch and turn it into afternoon snack or an evening dessert.
3. Watermelon Lemonade -- The best part of this recipe? Watermelon ice cubes. It adds flavor to the drink and keeps it cold without watering it down!
4. Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade -- Add a little effervescence to this fruity concoction on days when plain lemonade just won't cut it.
5. Pom-Ade -- Lemonade still isn't sour enough for you? Then add some pomegranate juice to amp it up. Don't say I didn't warn you.
6. Skinny Peach Lemonade -- For those who love lemonade but can't handle all the sugar, this recipe has lots of fruity flavor with zero added sugar.
7. Ginger Lemonade -- Ginger might not do it for everyone, but if you're a fan of the flavorful spice, you should give this unexpected match-made-in-heaven a chance.
8. Cucumber Lemonade -- If you want to make this recipe by FoodandWine.com a little more grown-up, try adding some of your favorite gin into the mix.
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cucumber juice (you can either use a juicer/blender to make your own cucumber juice or you can buy it pre-made)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped dill (optional, may add 1 additional dill sprig for garnish)
- 1/4 cup chilled club soda
- 1 paper-thin, vertical slice of European cucumber (optional, for garnish)
- Ice, to liking
More from The Stir: 3 Fruity Summer Drinks That Won't Freeze Your Diet
- Press the cucumber slice against the inside of a chilled, clear highball glass (optional)
- Add desired amount of ice to the glass.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together the chooped dill, agave syrup, lemon and lime juices and 1 tablespoon of water until the syrup is dissolved.
- Add ice, then add the cucumber juice and shake well.
- Strain into the glass and stir in the club soda.
- Garnish with the dill sprig (optional).
Do you have a favorite lemonade recipe that's not on the list?
Image via boo lee/Flickr