On any given summer afternoon, you really can't go wrong with packing up a picnic basket, heading to the park or beach, and enjoying a lazy day with the family. Who doesn't love indulging in a little quality time while savoring all sorts of delicious treats (and maybe even a little vino if the mood should strike you?).
But while there's definitely nothing wrong with the typical picnic we all know and love -- complete with a Frisbee, sandwiches and potato salad, and a blanket -- why not impress everyone by kicking things up a notch and getting a little bit creative?
Incorporating one of these fun picnic themes into your summer activities will keep things interesting and delight the entire family for sure.
- Fiesta -- Turn your picnic into a south of the border party by packing up tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, nachos, or you could even set up a taco bar. And entertainment is a cinch, especially if you bring along a pinata filled with all sorts of goodies -- and have everyone dress in sombreros.
- Luau -- Bring a little Hawaii to your next picnic by having your family wear leis, and savor traditional luau foods such as tropical fruits like pineapple and coconut. And while roasting a whole pig may be a bit excessive, at least pack pulled pork sandwiches, and don't forget the mai-tais. Everyone will have a blast working off their feast with a little hula dancing and a friendly game of limbo.
- Safari -- Turn your ordinary picnic into an adventure by packing binoculars and taking the family on a wild animal hunt through the "jungle" -- even if you only wind up spotting a few chipmunks. Pack trail mix for snacks along the way, and then once everyone regroups, serve a veggie tray with dips, fruit salad, cheese and crackers, and finger sandwiches. Don't forget the canteens!
- Pirate Beach Party -- Ahoy, matey! Digging for buried treasure on the beach provides hours of entertainment, and you never know, you just might find something that's worth your weight in gold. For the menu, serve up grilled chicken with a fresh mango salsa and a yummy rum cake for dessert. Maybe whip up a few mojitos and bring a pitcher of Planter's Punch.
- Circus -- Ok, so your picnic may already be a circus without the theme -- but does it get any more fun than this? Popcorn, Cracker Jacks, peanuts, cotton candy, and hot dogs will make everyone feel like a kid again. And setting up carnival games like a ring toss, fishing while blindfolded, and a balloon popping booth will make sure everyone leaves your picnic a winner.
- Wild West -- Pretend you're on a dude ranch instead of at the park or in your own backyard and serve up baked beans, barbecue ribs, and cornbread, and apple pie or strawberry shortcake for dessert. Have a lasso competition, sit around the campfire to tell stories and sing songs, or get out the cards for a game or two of poker.
What kind of fun picnic themes have you tried?
Image via KFoodaddict/Flickr