Thinking of making a delicious dessert the whole family will love? Wanna balance the incredible amount of sugar with the veil of nutritious, antioxidant berries? Saddle up -- this buttery blueberry pie recipe is just for you.
Serves 8; total time 1 hour 45 minutes; prep time 25 minutes; oven temp 400 degrees.
More from The Stir: Ding Dong Cake Recipe Is To-Die-For Delicious
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 13 tablespoons cold butter (no substitutions), cut up
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups blueberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- In food processor, blend flour and salt. Add 12 tablespoons butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each, until large clumps begin to form.
- Shape dough into 2 disks, one slightly larger than the other; wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll larger disk of dough into 12-inch round. Ease dough round into 9-inch pie plate. Gently press against bottom and up side of plate without stretching. Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under.
- Line pie shell with foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil with weights; bake 10 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, gently toss blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt until well combined. In small bowl, whisk egg and cream.
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll remaining disk of dough into 11-inch round.
- Place warm crust on foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Spread filling evenly in crust; dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Brush egg mixture onto rim of crust. Transfer dough: Carefully roll around lightly floured rolling pin and unroll onto top of pie, centering round. Gently press dough to seal against rim of crust, trimming any excess. Brush top crust with egg mixture; cut slits in center.
- Reset oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 1 hour or until top crust is golden and blueberry mixture bubbles. Cool completely on wire rack.
Photo via phandcd/Flickr