frog in green beansGloria Chubb was making dinner like it was any other night and opened a can of Meijer green beans to pop in the microwave and serve up with meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy. She didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until her son pointed it out at the dinner table: Something that was definitely NOT a green bean had come out of that can ...

She told her local affiliate of CNN that she "thought it was maybe a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact." Oh yes, it was totally an amphibian! Can you even imagine?!

It's one thing to have to contend with what seems like recall after recall, but now we have to worry about wild animals in our food? You'd think case for eating processed food would be that it was actually, well, processed -- and protected in that it would be inspected more thoroughly than non-processed food. But apparently, not necessarily! Ugh.

Chubb managed to return all her other unopened cans of green beans to the supermarket that sold the can and received a full refund. As for Meijer, they sent her a personal apology and $50 (yay?). But that's not going to change the fact that she's forget scarred by the experience. She said she was nauseous for two days about it and she doesn't think she'll have green beans "anytime soon." Ha! Wow. Can't exactly blame her!

More from The Stir: 'Whole Snake' Supposedly Baked Into a Loaf of Bread, but Is It Fake? (PHOTO)

Chubb took the frog to St. Joseph County Health Department, where Rita Hooten, food service director, who sent the toad and can down to the Indiana State Department of Health. There, they concluded that it was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin. Hooten explained:

When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process.

Even further proof that we do need a better food inspection process. I get that Mother Nature "happens," but ick. Just. Ick.

Here's more info on the skin-crawling story:

Has anything similar ever happened to you or someone you know?

 

Image via WBND